|“||The exact process of how an Altered Item is born eludes us. We find them in the aftermath of Altered World Events. They take the form of everyday objects - ever-present in our lives, constantly evoked in the thoughts of millions of people. Now infused with unpredictable energies, they're altered.||”|
Altered Items are ordinary objects which have been acted upon by paranatural forces during Altered World Events, resulting in the development of unique and sometimes dangerous properties. They are distinguished from Objects of Power in that they lack an inherent connection to the Board, or the ability for parautilitarians to bind to them and wield theiir abilities.
Altered Items are ordinary objects acted upon by paranatural forces during Altered World Events, resulting in these items being infused with unpredictable energies (i.e. resonance). Like Objects of Power, Altered Items represent archetypes in the human collective unconscious - symbols and imagery given psychological significance through daily rituals, culture, and urban legends. The inception of Altered Items is in their representation of these archetypes. Because of this, there is a clear connection between the forces affecting Altered Items and the human mind. It is possible that the archetypes in the human collective unconscious determine the nature and perhaps the behavior of Altered Items.
While they are not sentient, Altered Items do possess inherent "programming" or fixations that compel them to cause certain events to occur repeatedly. These behaviors cannot be controlled, but Altered Items can be influenced or "tamed" through ritualistic processes similar to totem worship, as the Altered Items are used to being "worshiped" by humanity. The Federal Bureau of Control gathers Altered Items discovered in Altered World Events and contains them in the Panopticon and elsewhere in shrine-like cells, adapting to their needs and volatile natures.
The connection between Altered Items and their inferred archetypal origins is not clear. Based on their nature, it is possible that the paranatural properties of Altered Items always correlate to the archetypes they represent. While their distinction from Objects of Power lies largely in the fact that Altered Items are not connected to the Board, they can be influenced or controlled by other paranatural entities, such as the Hiss or the Former. Altered Items also cannot be bound by parautilitarians to wield their special abilities. Theodore Ash, Jr. theorized that Altered Items become Objects of Power when a connection is created by the Board.
Altered Items, like Objects of Power, are classified into five known categories, designated by the letters at the end of their IDs. Altered Item IDs follow the template "AI##-?E," with "##" being the number of the Altered Item (based on its chronological date of acquisition relative to other AIs), and "?E" being one of the five known AI/OoP categories: KE, PE, UE, AE, and BE. Of these categories, by far the most AIs fall under the KE category. The meaning of these designations is not known. General observations are as follows:
- KE-class Altered Items all possess a direct physical effect, whether on themselves or on their surroundings. 14 Altered Items and 6 Objects of Power are listed as KE-class.
- PE-class Altered Items all possess a psychological or psychic effect on living beings, such as hypnosis or mood alteration. 3 Altered Items and 1 Object of Power are listed as PE-class.
- UE-class Altered Items vary in their effects, with no clear similarities. 4 Altered Items and 2 Objects of Power are listed as UE.
- Two AE-class Altered Items exists (Holiday Memories Tree, AI14-AE), which possesses the ability to repeat what is spoken to it, and (Rubber Duck, AI52-AE) which possesses the abilities to quack and to travel short distances surprisingly fast.
- Only one BE-class Altered Item exists (Game Hammer, AI5-BE), which possesses the ability to spread an unidentified pathogen. As its Altered Item file was from farther back in the Bureau's history, the terminology in it is outdated, and it is possible the BE classification is antiquated and no longer in use, or is a classification that rarely occurs.
List of Altered Items Edit
27 Altered Items can be found in Control, for a total of 36 if Objects of Power are included. The exact amount possessed by the FBC is not known, but is likely around 83, given that the most recent Altered Item - the Typewritten Page (AI83-KE) - was acquired only two months before the Hiss invasion.
|Item||ID||Acquisition Date||Containment Location|
|The Oscillator||AI3-KE||07/28/1954||Panopticon - Floor 01, Unit 15|
|Game Hammer||AI5-BE||11/02/1959||Panopticon - Floor 01, Unit 16|
|Waist Mannequin||AI7-KE||12/23/1967||Panopticon - Floor 04, Unit 11|
|Arctic Queen||AI10-KE||11/18/1974||Panopticon - Floor 04, Unit 15|
|Ocelot's Anchor||AI11-UE||09/28/1976||Panopticon - Floor 03, Unit 07|
|VHS Cassette Tape||AI12-PE||11/17/1978||[REDACTED]|
|Smoking Pram||AI13-KE||08/05/1979||Panopticon - Floor 02, Unit 11|
|Holiday Memories Tree||AI14-AE||06/02/1980||Panopticon - Floor 02, Unit 06|
|Swan Boat||AI19-KE||06/24/1983||Panopticon - Floor 05, Unit 10|
|Jasper Post Box||AI31-PE||06/15/1986||Panopticon - Floor 01, Unit 13|
|Guru Surfboard||AI43-PE||07/03/1994||Panopticon - Floor 03, Unit 05|
|Pink Flamingo||AI46-KE||08/12/1997||Panopticon - Floor 04, Unit 16|
|Maneki-neko Statue(s)||AI48-PE||03/21/1999||Foundation - Firebreak|
|Red Light||AI49-KE||05/16/1999||Panopticon - Floor 04, Unit 10|
|Rubber Duck||AI52-AE||01/02/2001||Panopticon - Floor 03, Unit 06|
|Simulacrum||AI53-KE||09/03/2001||Panopticon - Floor 05, Unit 11|
|Bremen Basket||AI54-UE||04/23/2002||Panopticon - Floor 01, Unit 14|
|”Get Well Soon” Balloon||AI58-KE||03/22/2004||Panopticon - Floor 05, Unit 09|
|Victorian Mirror||AI60-UE||07/15/2005||Synchronicity Lab,
|Human Hand Chair||AI63-KE||02/10/2006||Panopticon - Floor 04, Unit 12|
|Ramen Lantern||AI69-KE||03/01/2008||Panopticon - Floor 04, Unit 13|
|Wolff Globe||AI72-PE||04/12/2010||Panopticon - Floor 02, Unit 09|
|Oh Deer Diner Coffee Thermos||AI73-UE||09/20/2010||Panopticon - Floor 05, Unit 05|
|Moving Letters||AI77-KE||10/13/2014||Panopticon - Floor 04, Unit 09|
|ActionMaxx Camera||AI80-UE||09/14/2016||In transit|
|Typewritten Page||AI83-KE||08/27/2019||Panopticon - Floor 05, Unit 06|
|Crowbar||N/A||N/A||Panopticon - Floor 05, Unit 12|
- The formatting for Altered Item containment files is directly inspired by the SCP Foundation, a fictional organization also responsible for containing objects which defy the laws of reality. The formatting, particularly the "containment procedures" followed by a description of the object in question, is extremely similar to the formatting of the SCP Foundation's SCP files.