|“||Northmoor was all about power. A man like an explosion, hungry for authority, for order, for more, until it was too much.||”|
Broderick Northmoor was the Director of the Federal Bureau of Control who preceded Zachariah Trench, and the first Director chosen by The Board. He personally despised Trench and Theodore Ash, Jr., never expecting the former to follow as Director, and being disgusted in the latter. At some point, Northmoor lost control of his own paranatural powers, and reluctantly agreed to be contained in the NSC Power Plant and used to power the Oldest House.
Broderick Northmoor was originally a bureaucrat for the Federal government in Washington, D.C. whom Theodore Ash, Sr. nominated as his successor to become Director of the Federal Bureau of Control. When Ash, Sr. died in 1964, Northmoor traveled to New York City to take charge of the FBC. He led the first expedition into the Oldest House, where he discovered the Service Weapon on a stone pedestal and established contact with The Board, who gave him their approval to lead the FBC. The process somehow also gave Northmoor heat-related paranatural powers.
Northmoor's ascension stoked his ego to incredible heights and fed an obsession for amassing power. Theodore Ash, Jr., Northmoor's Head of Research at the time, noted that Northmoor "ranted about the title [of Director] being meaningless before now calling [Theodore Ash, Sr.] and all the other previous directors shams, frauds, and worse." Northmoor also insisted on calling the building the Oldest House, and became fanatically devoted to shaping the FBC in accordance with The Board's will.
On Day 51 of the Oldest House expedition, Northmoor ordered an "all-hands" search for any objects like the Service Weapon in the Oldest House. He frequently talked "about joining 'greater causes'" at the time, and mentioned seeing a black pyramid. According to Ash, Northmoor said that he looked up at the inverted pyramid, which symbolizes "conflict and stagnation".
Northmoor ordered Ash and his crew to move to the upper floors of the Oldest House after the Id killed two members of Ash's research team. Ash was unhappy with the decision and said, "I won't go. I'll refuse. Northmoor won't be happy, but so be it. I'm starting to see him for what he was. An impotent storm. Father's shade in a cheap suit."
At some point after the Floppy Disk was acquired by the FBC, Northmoor bounded himself to the Floppy Disk and was able to use it to send a bowling ball six yards through the air. Which was a major accomplishment since before that point, FBC researchers had only succeeded in using the Floppy Disk to propel smaller objects like pencils and a cup a short distance.
After losing control of his para-natural powers, Northmoor eventually agreed to resign as Director and "keep the lights on" in the Oldest House at Zachariah Trench's urging. He was sealed alive in the NSC Power Plant in Maintenance Sector and became the Oldest House's main power source. This allowed him to continue serving the FBC without endangering it.
Objects of Powers Bound
- Northmoor is implied to have been both the first Board appointed director and also the last director not appointed by them.
- Knowledge of Northmoor powering the NSC reactor does not seem to be widespread within the Bureau, as an agent can be heard talking about the reactor and their belief it was a fusion reactor.
- Northmoor most likely resigned as director before 1995, when Casper Darling succeeded Theodore Ash, Jr. as Head of Research. Documents show that Northmoor, Ash, and Zachariah Trench were contemporaries, and Trench was already with the FBC a while before Darling joined, but there is no evidence Northmoor ever met Darling.
- In a conversation between Jesse Faden and Emily Pope, Pope mentions that Northmoor at some point bound the Floppy Disk Object of Power, and used it to propel a bowling ball six feet.
- In Multimedia: Ordinary, Dr. Casper Darling talks about Dylan Faden and his potential being Northmoor-level which suggest Northmoor was the strongest parautilitarian known to the FBC until the Ordinary AWE.